Brian and Chelsea

Welcome to the Hoskisson Blog... Hope you Enjoy!!

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Kidney stones - 8 months pregnant

Oh the misery!
So I was 8 months along and working at the Inn at Solitude Mtn Resort...
I all of a sudden got a really sharp pain thru my left side
and it didn't go away.
So I was pretty sure it wasn't labor - but I didn't know what was going on.
[I'll be honest... I was wondering if I was just having a sudden attack. NOPE!]
I didn't know what to do... I was working by myself.
I let my manager go for a ski break.
It was slow and really boring anyways.
Thank goodness Brian was working that day.
I called him in a panic and told him he needed to come down and get me.
He was there pretty quickly.
He strapped me to a back board [semi-embarrassing] and took me over to the clinic.
They asked me a lot of questions - while I was throwing up in their waste basket.
They ruled out labor and decided it may be kidney stones,
but that I should probably go to the hospital.
Brian asked me if I wanted a ambulance... I told him
NO, JUST GET ME THERE!
It was the worst car ride ever... I was in so much pain.
I just whimpered, cried, and screamed the whole way down the canyon.
[Driving Brian crazy!]
Got to the emergency room and they sent me straight to the Womens Center.
They gave me shots of morphine in my butt [OUCH] and started doing tests.
They decided they were pretty sure it was kidney stones.
They took me over for x-rays on my kidney. [My left side]
They couldn't see my kidney - my colon was pretty dang full.
YUCK!
I stayed for 24 hours - on wonderful morphine!
Then stayed on Loratab at home!
Needless to say I didn't go back to work after that.
Instead I curled up on the couch and didn't go far from there!
I went back to the hospital about a week later for another stone.
Was there for 12 hours.
Then I passed another one at home...
decided it was time to do something about my colon.
Tried different things... don't need to list them! :)
Ended up taking a colonoscopy prep to help it along.
NASTY STUFF!!!!
It was midnight when I started.
My sweet husband and parents stayed up with me.
They watched a movie while I was in the corner in agony.
Of course it was a comedy so they kept laughing and enjoying themselves...
while I am just writhing in pain!
Felt some what better after that night.
By this point I was finally dilated to a one...
my doctor told me if I got ONE more kidney stone...
he would start me now that I was at a one.
He didn't want to just keep waiting.
It was probably stressing the baby out AND I was sick of the pain!
Plus he wanted to figure out what the deal was with my kidneys.
Well... I got ANOTHER ONE.
So Tuesday morning, March 24, I had finally had enough.
I called the hospital and they said they would call me back when
they had a room available for me to come in and use.
It wasn't an hour later that they called.
SO IT WAS TIME!!!

Here I am in all my misery!
I have my phone just in case I would need it...
and a heating pad to help with the pain.
It hurt to lay all the way down,
So I had to prop myself up a little.
Tell you what... I didn't sleep great!
The Loratab knocks me out!
As you can see...
sweet Mom getting me in my prime!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Yay for the update!! Don't you just miss being pregnant?!? Seeing those pictures made me miss it. It seems like forever ago we were both prego. Loved all the pics! Keep it up! Your only about 18 months behind:)