Brian and Chelsea

Welcome to the Hoskisson Blog... Hope you Enjoy!!

Monday, October 17, 2011

Italian Hillside Garden Soup...

I made a new soup...
I am trying to cook more often!
So I thought I would share with you what I made!

"Italian Hillside Garden Soup"
via Crock pot!!

For those of you who are interested... here is the recipe:
I am going to do the ingredients in two columns =
1st is what it calls for 2nd is what I used! :)
(if there is only 1 column... that's what I used & it called for)

1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil

1 cup chopped green bell pepper = 2 chopped bell peppers

1 cup chopped onion = 2 chopped onions

1/2 cup sliced celery = 6 stalks of celery sliced

1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes

1 can (15 oz) navy beans drained and rinsed
{I can't ever find navy beans :) }
= 1 can kidney beans
1 can garbanzo beans
(both drained and rinsed)

1 med. zucchini chopped = 2 med. zucchini chopped

1 cup frozen cute green beans - thawed
= 1 can green beans - drained

2 cans (14 oz each) chicken broth
= only 14 oz chicken broth

1/4 tsp garlic powder
= 1/2 tsp garlic salt
{I didn't have garlic powder ???}

1 package (9 oz) cheese filled tortellini pasta
or refrigerated sausage
= 1 package (20 oz) cheese filled tortellini pasta
{I like this stuff!!}

3 Tbs chopped fresh basil
= 1 - 2 Tbs of "Herbes de Provence"
{Stuff is yummy! You can get it at Costco!}
{I didn't have any fresh basil}

Grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese


Now how to do it: :)

1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add bell pepper, onion, and celery. Cook and stir 4 minutes or until onions are translucent. Transfer to 5-quart CROCK-POT slow cooker.

2. Add tomatoes with juice, navy beans {or other beans :)}, zucchini, green beans, broth and garlic powder. Cover; cook on LOW 7 Hrs or on HIGH 3 1/2 Hrs.

3. Turn CROCK-POT to HIGH. Add Tortellini and cook on HIGH for 20-25 minutes longer or until pasta is tender. Stir in basil. {I added my seasoning before during step 2.}

GARNISH WITH CHEESE!


It turned out really yummy!
It was easy too!
I love using my crock-pot!
I bought the crock-pot cook book!
YUM! :)

No comments: